UPDATE (MARCH 26): We received requests from chapter members, asking for a deadline extension due to COVID-19. After careful consideration, we decided to shift our competition timeline and Preliminary Round process to accommodate for those impacted by the coronavirus.
The original application deadline was March 29th, 2020. We now have 2 application phases — Early Action due March 29th and Regular Decision due April 12th. The application requirements remain the same.
We know some of you worked on your application, aiming to still submit by the original deadline. To support you, we are implementing an enhanced Semifinalist selection process:
- EARLY ACTION — Apply between January 14th - March 29th. Selected Semifinalists are notified on Tuesday, April 7th.
- REGULAR DECISION — Apply between March 30th - April 12th. Selected Semifinalists are notified on Tuesday, April 21st.
- PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT — All Semifinalists are publicly announced on Tuesday, April 21st.
The judges will still select approximately 8 Semifinalists. These spots will be filled on a “first applied, first served” basis, priority given to those who apply during Early Action.
If you are selected as an Early Action Semifinalist, you will have the competitive advantages of:
- ★ 2 extra weeks to develop your prototypes and business plan
- ★ Being matched with your mentor and getting 1-on-1 advice earlier
If you are not selected as an Early Action Semifinalist, you are still eligible to submit a revised or novel idea again for Regular Decision.
ELIGIBILITY. SASEtank is open, but not limited, to everyone within the SASE community, both students and professionals. Each individual can only enter one invention into the competition, and may do so either as an individual or as a team of 2+ members. Previous Finalists may not compete again. However, participants who were not selected as a Finalist may compete with a new idea. All Finalists must register for the 10th annual SASE National Conference on October 9th, 2020. All team members must fulfill these requirements.
REGISTRATION. The Preliminary Round Application opens on January 14th, 2020 at 10 AM PST and must be submitted by April 12th, 2020, 11:59 PM PST. The application consists of a business case and a video pitch.
- The 1st place winner receives $1,250. The 2nd place winner receives $750. The winner of the People's Choice Award receives $500. Finalists are able to win both a ranked award and the People's Choice Award. The prizes will be distributed after the Banquet dinner at National Conference.
- ⭐️ NEW! All Final Round projects receive a $150 travel award. The award will be provided as a reimbursement for travel, lodging, and registration expenses incurred towards attending the 2020 SASE National Conference. Each Final Round project will receive a total of $150 regardless of team members.
IDEA REQUIREMENTS. Ideas must be original to the individual or team. Software is eligible, as well as outputs from course projects or research. Full disclosure is required regarding the contributing resources and individuals. Collaboration with anyone who is not registered as a team member must be fully disclosed in the Preliminary Round Application. Their contributions will be reviewed, and if deemed substantial, he/she will be required to be added as a formal member of the team. Prototypes are not required for the Preliminary and Semifinal Rounds but are highly recommended. Working prototypes are required for the Final Round.
JUDGING. There will be judges for each round. The judges will have expertise in various areas, including engineering, science, technology, and business. They will use various criteria in their evaluations, such as those listed below:
- THE PROBLEM. What is the motive? Why is it important to solve it? What is the impact on the customers?
- THE APPLICATION. What is the key concept? How much progress has been made on prototype development?
- THE INNOVATION. Is the concept original? How does it compare to rival solutions for the same problem? Do the presenter have in-depth knowledge in the product field?
- THE MARKET. Who is your target audience? How does it compare to rival solutions that aim to solve the same problem? How thorough and well-developed is the business plan?
- THE PRESENTATION. How well do you present your idea? Is your pitch both informative and concise?
During the Final Round, the judges may also choose to consider more holistic criteria to determine the winning inventions.
- THE PRELIMINARY ROUND. Inventors will submit a business pitch and video pitch in their Preliminary Round Application. Project documentation supporting the development process will also be requested. The Early Action Application deadline is March 29th, 2020 at 11:59 PM PST. The Regular Decision Application deadline is April 12th, 2020 at 11:59 PM PST. The judges will score each invention using the criteria mentioned above. This scoring provides all entrepreneurs feedback on their invention and presentation, ultimately determining which inventions will advance. We will select approximately 8 innovations to advance to the Semifinal Round. Semifinalists will participate in the Mentor Fellowship Program.
- THE SEMIFINAL ROUND. This round focuses on the progress that has been made since the Preliminary Round. Semifinalists will present their progress in a video. Project documentation supporting the continued development process must also be included. The submission deadline is July 5th, 2020 at 11:59 PM PST. The judges will score each invention using the criteria mentioned above. In addition, inventors are expected to utilize the feedback provided in the Preliminary Round to further develop their idea. This scoring provides all entrepreneurs feedback on their improved invention and presentation, ultimately determining which inventions will advance. We will select approximately 4 innovations to advance to the Final Round. Finalists will continue to participate in the Mentor Fellowship Program.
- THE FINAL ROUND. Entrepreneurs will present their inventions at the 10th annual SASE National Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Final Round will occur on Friday, October 9th, 2020. This event is open to both the public and the SASE community. Inventors are expected to utilize the feedback provided in the Semifinal Round to further develop their idea. Finalists will pitch their product and provide a demo of their prototype to a panel of expert judges and a live audience, followed by a Q&A. The judges will score each invention using the criteria mentioned above, providing all entrepreneurs feedback on their improved invention and presentation. The audience will also cast their votes for their favorite. The judges’ scores will determine the 1st and 2nd place winners, and the audience vote will determine the recipient of the People’s Choice Award. The winners will be announced at the Banquet Dinner.
If you have any remaining questions, please review the FAQ.