SASEtank is open, but not limited, to everyone within the SASE community, both students and working professionals. Each individual can only enter one invention into the competition, and may do so either as an individual or as a team of 2+ members. Previous Finalists may not compete again. However, participants and their ideas that didn't make it to the Final Round are eligible. All Finalists must register for the 8th annual SASE National Conference on October 5th, 2018. All team members must fulfill these requirements.
The Preliminary Round Application opens on March 19th, 2018 at 10 AM PST and must be submitted by May 6th, 2018, 11:59 PM PST. The application consists of a business case and video pitch.
Idea Requirements. Ideas must be original to the individual or team. Software is eligible, as well as outputs from course projects or research. Full disclosure is required regarding to the contributing resources and individuals. Collaboration with anyone who is not registered as a team member must be fully disclosed in the Preliminary Round Application. Their contributions will be reviewed, and if deemed substantial, he/she will be required to be added as a formal member of the team. Prototypes are not required for the Preliminary and Semifinal Rounds, but highly recommended. Working prototypes are required for the Final Round.
Judging. There will be judges for each round. The judges will have expertise in various areas, including engineering, science, technology, and business. They will use various criteria in their evaluations, such as those listed below:
- The Problem. What is the motive? Why is it important to solve it? What is the impact on the customers?
- The Application. What is the key concept? How much progress has been made on prototype development?
- The Innovation. Is the concept original? How does it compare to rival solutions for the same problem? Do the presenter have in-depth knowledge in the product field?
- The Market. Who is your target audience? How does it compare to rival solutions that airm to solve the same problem? How thorough and well-developed is the business plan?
- The Presentation. How well do you present your idea? Is your pitch both informative and concise?
During the Final Round, the judges may also choose to consider more holistic criteria to determine the winning inventions.
- The Preliminary Round. Inventors will submit a business pitch and video pitch in their Preliminary Round Application. Project documentation supporting the development process will also be requested. The judges will score each invention using the criteria mentioned above. This scoring provides all entrepreneurs feedback on their invention and presentation, ultimately determining which inventions will advance. We will select approximately 10 innovations to advance to the Semifinal Round.
- The Semifinal Round. This round focuses on the progress that has been made since the Preliminary Round. Semifinalists will present their progress in a video. Project documentation supporting the continued development process must also be included. The application deadline is July 29th, 2018 at 11:59 PM PST. The judges will score each invention using the criteria mentioned above. In addition, inventors are expected to utilize the feedback provided in the Preliminary Round to further develop their idea. This scoring provides all entrepreneurs feedback on their improved invention and presentation, ultimately determining which inventions will advance. We will select approximately 4 innovations to advance to the Final Round.
- The Final Round. Entrepreneurs will present their inventions at the 8th annual SASE National Conference in Illinois. The Final Round will occur on Friday, October 5th, 2018. This event is open to both the public and the SASE community. Inventors are expected to utilize the feedback provided in the Semifinal Round to further develop their idea. Finalists will pitch their product and provide a demo of their prototype to a panel of expert judges and a live audience, followed by a Q&A. The judges will score each invention using the criteria mentioned above, providing all entrepreneurs feedback on their improved invention and presentation. The audience will also cast their votes for their favorite. The judges’ scores will determine the 1st and 2nd place winners, and the audience vote will determine the recipient of the People’s Choice Award. The winners will be announced at the Banquet Dinner.
Prizes. We are currently finalizing the cash prizes for this year’s competition. For reference, the prizes for last year’s competition were as follows:
- The 1st place winner received $1,000
- The 2nd place winner received $500.
- The winner of the People’s Choice Award received $250.
- Finalists are able to win both a ranked award and the People’s Choice Award. The prizes will be distributed after the Banquet Dinner.
If you have any remaining questions, please review the FAQ.